Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Amano-sensei

Photobucket Amano Yoshitaka, a Japanese artist best known for doing the artwork for the Final Fantasy video games, is definitely one of my favorite artists. Most people I talk to have never heard of him and I think that's a terrible shame. He's such a diverse artist, never limiting himself to one genre or art form. It's hard to describe what I feel when I see his artwork (what a surprise...it IS art!), but I love how unique the art is. His figures are so elegant; they almost seem shapeless, and the backgrounds they rest on envelope them in color to create a blend. Is the figure just an extension of the background or is the figure neverending? It's not a painting of a person, but a painting of a being.
Photobucket
On a side-note, being a creative writing major and coming from a long line of writers and artists, I think prose and poetry are (of course!) wonderful art forms. Here's a link to the song Tourniquet, a poem-turned-song by Marilyn Manson. The music's great, the lyrics are great, it's all great. Enjoy!
http://music.myspace.com/Modules/MusicV2/Pages/PopUpPlayer.aspx?songid=&artid=&profid=213229155&plid=378928

1 comment:

  1. よしたかさん is also one of my top favorite artists. I have his (and Neil Gaiman's) book, The Dream Hunters, and I re-read it every chance I get. When I'm feeling anxious, I look at his art books and it calms me like nothing else. If I could, I would marry the guy.

    よしたかさんわひらめきですよ。

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.